LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Headboard Project: Part One

Friday, October 19

I know that I promised you Part 2 of my paper decorating project two whole days ago. I'm terrible and late and sorry, but today is not going to be it. I blame it all on my immune system. I came down with some sort of flu-like bug on Tuesday afternoon and although I'm functional today, I'm not at peak speed.  As such, Part 2 is not yet complete - I'll share it as soon as I can.

In the meantime, I figured I would ask you for some feedback on potential fabric for my DIY upholstered headboard.  This project is still in early days but I stopped by the fabric store earlier this week to check out what is available. I knew I wanted something classic, likely stripes, so I wouldn't get sick of it easily. I also knew I wanted something relatively neutral, like grey & white, so that I can take it with me from space to space (especially considering the temporary nature of my current living situation).

Before going into the fabric store, I had a thick charcoal and white stripe in my mind as the PERFECT fabric. Unfortunately, there was nothing quite right in the store. The closest they had was this middle fabric:
And I really just wasn't feeling all the different shades of grey. Or how blue they read in certain lights.

I considered this:
It's cool and graphic but I suspected I would get sick of it after awhile.

I also considered a couple pretty florals, like this one:
But in the end, I decided that adding in another colour might make it less versatile. Plus, as much as I like this fabric, it didn't entirely work with my current living space.

And then I found these:
They look a little navy in this photo, but they're definitely grey in person.
Very similar, small charcoal & white stripes. Ticking stripes, really. Smaller than what I had pictured, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea of using such a small stripe. I'm also planning to do a nailhead trim on the headboard, and I think that might look really cool with the proportions of the ticking stripe.

Now I know this might seem a little ridiculous, because they are VERY similar, but which one do you think looks best? The main difference is really just the scale. The smaller stripe (the one in front) is also about $5 more per metre, but I'll probably only need 1-2 metres, so that isn't a huge deal.

So what do you think? Can you help me end my indecisiveness? Which one should I choose? Leave me your advice in the comments, s.v.p.!

3 comments

  1. Heyoo...I would do the larger one. I just wonder whether the smaller ticking will read as plain old grey from farther away?

    Also - Momma Sue has bought some great fabric online so if you still have your heart set on a big grey stripe maybe check out the internets?

    Yay fabric!!
    K xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with K! although both are irresistible! I'd love to do a pillow in either of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too vote for the bigger stripes and think that the point made about the smaller one potentially just looking like solid grey from afar is a good one.
    Can't wait to see the finished product :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks!